“Don’t let someone else’s opinion of you become your reality.”- Les Brown
It’s in human nature to always have something to say about people, what they say, how they behave, walk or dress and about decisions they make. These opinions are mostly negative and if you allow them to get to you, you will only let them define you.
What other people say to you or how they see you have no business in defining you. Their opinions are just to spite you or make you feel inferior.
Always keep in mind that there is no one better than you and you are not better than anyone. We all are unique in different ways. Listening to other people say negative things about you no matter how you try to ignore it would hurt you, and you end up trying to change yourself to suit their perspective.
Ignoring what people say about you is what you have to practice doing because it’s hard to suppress your emotions. It is important to learn this for your sanity and mental health. As long as you are not doing anything wrong you shouldn’t allow the negative comments of people to get to you.
Here Are 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Let Other People’s Opinion To Define You.
1. People Will Always Talk: It’s not just about you or what you do. The fact is that people will always talk about someone, it doesn’t matter if the person exists or not. People will always say negative things about people they feel are a threat to them. Keep in mind that you are not the problem, they just want to talk. It’s human nature to bring others down to be recognized or feel superior.
2. Your Self-worth Is Defined By Only You: You alone have the right to define your ethics and values. No one else truly cares, so do not allow other people’s opinions to lower your self-worth. No one is allowed to judge you, they do not fight your battles or know what you have been through, so their opinion doesn’t matter. Forget it. If you allow what people say to affect you and they know that this particular button they are pressing gets to you and makes you depressed, they will continue to press it. For your good, forget what people think. Seriously.
3. You Can’t Please Everyone, So Don’t Try: No matter what you do, someone is still going to be upset about it. Any choice you make or path you take, people are going to have their own opinion about it and you certainly can’t please them all, it’s impossible because you do not leave for anyone but yourself. Your decisions should be about you and your happiness, not theirs. That’s what’s important.
4. Your Goals In Life Are Different: Your success is defined by your goals and how you achieve them. You alone know what you want for yourself. What other people think might be good for you isn’t always what you want. So let your own goals be based on what you want. Focus on your path. People have different beliefs, experiences, values, and upbringing, so their opinion shouldn’t justify how you leave your life but oftentimes we do and this is so wrong. And as long as you give people the power, they will continue to affect your life negatively.
5. Trust Your Intuition: You know yourself more than anyone else. In whatever you do, trust your intuition, people will always have an opinion but you already know what you are doing, even when you fail, and if you believe in what you are doing, you will continue until you get it right. Your goal should be to do what is right for you and not what other people say you should do. Remember you are not perfect, nobody is, so do not mind the negativity. Choose to stay positive and this will allow you to learn and grow.
A lot of people care a lot about what opinions people have about them, thereby needing validation from people all the time. In finding true happiness and self-confidence, you need to accept yourself and validate yourself. With it, you would not care about what critics have to say because what’s important is you and your goals.